Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kevin in NH Deer hunting log 2015-2016

Default Kevin in NH Hunting logs 2015-2016-2017

I thought I should update, or start my 2017 hunting log before the season is over so here goes.....
    September 15, 16, and 17 2017
    It was miserable hunting conditions with the temps in the 80s and 100% humidity! The step son came down from Maine and we did not see a single deer.

September 23rd-My Birthday! I was hoping to make it 3 years in a row to shoot a buck on my birthday and it looked like it was going to happen but like an idiot I counted my chickens before they hatched!!!
    I was at the rock wall stand and at 07:25 I hear a deer directly behind me and so I waited...and waited until the first deer, a 7 pointer was at 10 yards to my right which is perfect for a lefty! I waited a little longer as they now the 7 and also a 5 pointer were both to my right so I started to turn on the Tactacam and slowly raise the bow....and the 3rd deer spotted me and off they went!!! I got to cocky and if I had only waited for them to feed by I would have had a chip shot....but Noooooooo I blew it.

September 9th and 11th I hunted the proven stand and had a small Doe come in early 06:45 and at 07:15 a little button buck fed around me for 45 minutes. On the 11th I hunted the ro0ck wall stand and saw zip. I moved the stand on my birthday after getting busted so now I have it placed better so I will not get busted from behind....

Today is the 12th and it is my last day in North Hampton and Monday the 16th I start as the new inspector in Newington which is loaded with deer so I hope to make a contact or two!

October Friday the 13th 2017 Rock Wall stand 34 degrees...finally cool. 7:10 3 deer are on me from my left and at 15 feet the first deer a beauty of a Doe easily 130 stops and looks right up at me i squint my eyes she is so close......she continues on around me and the two Does with her looked very healthy. They feed past me offering easy shots. Sat till 1030

Friday 10/20/17 Rock wall stand 45 degrees zero wind woods are extremely dry so even these old ears I can hear squirrels 40 yards away....and that's all i saw was squirrels

I hunted Friday, Saturday and Sunday October 20, 21 and 22 one little Doe from the proven stand.
    Weather was in the 40s

Friday 10/27/17 46 degrees Rock wall stand again one little Doe. I swapped out all 5 sd cards and there is ok 8 point on the farm stand cam.
    I am hunting this stand today the opening day of muzzle loader season 37 degrees time to go

Saturday 10/28/17 Muzzleloader opening day. 34 degrees and calm wind. I am hunting the farm stand hoping that the 8 pointer comes thru. I am on stand at 0610 almost an hour before sunrise. Most of the leaves are down so I can see pretty good in all directions.
    I am set up with the farm at 2 o'clock and being a lefty I have a good field of fire to my fight and a stone wall is 50 yards behind me. At 730 I hear a shot behind the farm and 10 minutes later another shot closer to me but on the other property. At 750 I see Doe come off the knob at 3 o'clock to my left so I am watching it come towards me and out of the corner of my eye I see the 8 pointer I stand to get the shot and he's at 50 yards but the only shot I have is a Texas heart shot so I wait and he is heading towards the Doe and now I have a shot but it's at almost 100 yards I take the shot and after the smoke clears he is still standing there!!! I hit the grunt call and he starts flicking his tail like crazy so I start to reload and I didn't slam the ramrod down to fully seat the power belt but I thought it was enough. Now i am pissed that I missed and ready to take the second shot as I finally steady myself and pop...Then Boom...and the jerk behind the trigger jerks it badly and off they go.
    The rack is maybe 16 inches wide but tall. I get down and check and nothing. I climb back up and sit until 1130 kicking myself for missing. I climb down and while talking off excess cloths I see to deer walking towards my ground seat both are Doe so I let them pass and a minute later a spike is right behind them. I pass on the spike and swap out the sad card and head out. I stop at the rock wall stand and swap out that one and I look and a deer gets up and runs off. I went and check the muzzleloader and it was the Jerk behind the trigger not the gun. Time get to ready and head out. We are supposed to get 1 to 3 inches of rain with 50 mile an hour winds so maybe they will be moving good. I am going right back to the farm stand for round 2

Friday 11/3/17 54 degrees warm and muggy. Farm Stand sunrise 07:22 and 06:15 all settled in the stand. Just before shooting light I see what appears to be a coyote or Bobcat heading onto the property but just not enough light to tell. I sat until 10:00 and didn't see anything. I swapped out 4 sd cards and the blind got blown over with the hurricane force winds we had which also caused a major power outages. While popping it back into shape and not being very quiet while doing it I turned to leave and there's a nice Doe 20 yards away I bring up the loader and put the cross hairs right between her eyes and say pow....and away she goes.....

Saturday 11/4/17 Proven Stand a little cooler than yesterday and I am in the stand at 06:30 and sat until 11:30 and didn't see anything. Today is the gun opener....seems like the season is flying by. I received a text from Sean who hunts the property on the other side of Eds shot a 6 pointer and his buddy wounded an 8 pointer that he thought headed back towards Eds. The 6 pointer I had on one of my cameras so there are 2 less deer on the property. Sean couldn't tell me if it was the tall but narrow 8 pointer.
    The new job is working out very well. My boss and coworkers are super nice and after only 3 weeks I will be getting a Cola raise and a step increase...time to head out.......good luck!

11/8/17 Wednesday I swapped out all 5 sd card have zero pictures and since the landowners son has started hunting my stands 3 of the 5 have dried up. The only one I am hunting is the farm stand as he hasn't found that one yet.
    I know there is a good buck as I got him again on the cam.

11/9/17 Thursday 27 degrees. I caught movement at 7:05 and it looked like the same one I have on the cam...he never presented a shot. Time to get moving...I am hoping he comes closer this morning!

11/10/17 Friday....its great having every Friday off and my new boss Martha is pro hunting and gave me 5 days of vacation to use by the end of the year. Back at the Farm stand didn't see anything. Cold and windy 30s 30 mph gusts Time to get the little man (Grandson). Got up at 03:45 felt like crap went back to bed.
    11/12/17 Sunday real cold 27 degrees and no wind. On stand 05:50 and at 07:10 I see a Doe and her yearling coming on the property they aren't running but they are on a mission and then I see what looks like an 8 pointer typical basket but it has some thickness to the antlers...they start doing the chase and stop and I get a shot at 50 and he runs into some thick stuff. The Doe and her skip just start feeding and are totally at ease. Almost 4 minutes go by I see what looks like the 8 pointer walking towards the Doe....I am not sure its the same Buck but I hold off on the shot in case I ended up with 2 dead deer. Got down and checked and no sign of a hit so I climb back up and not 3 minutes later this4 pointer comes in. He is slow coming in and after a few minutes I have him at 25 yards and boom.....off he goes into a thicket of blowdowns and stands there....I am in disbelieve as I have killed a few at over 100 yards and two misses today....he steps out and this time I somehow managed to hit him. I got down 30 minutes later and he went 60 yards. Pass through with Federal trophy copper 3" Rem 870 cantilevered 12 ga.

Saturday 11/18/17 23 degrees and almost no wind. The landowners son killed a 195lb 10 pointer on Monday the 13th. I pulled all 5 sd cards and zip.......not one deer strange year for sure. Thanksgiving morning will be next sit

Thanksgiving Morning 2017 on stand 06:00....24 degrees with a COLD 10 mph wind. Nothing except squirrels and the little man his mom and dad are already at the house so time to head out.
    I had nothing on the 5 sd cards I swapped out on the 18th so I swap all 5 again and BOOM....for the first time ever I have a beauty of a buck trying to mount a receptive doe on the farm stand camera on the 18th....an hour after I climbed down...I am thankful for the buck I killed but WTH....tomorrows another day!!!