Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first deer in 20 years

Default My first deer in 20 years

Yeah so it's been awhile LOL Then again I have not hunted much each season over these years. I can't do all day sits anymore the last 10 years with my health , but I get out a bit each year anyhow

We have a bunch of cams out and we had discussed who I was and was not going to shoot IF I even saw anything (I am just hunting here on the farm no traveling) and we'd decided I would not shoot any of the does who had fawns, any of the fawns of this year not the spike or the small fork. BUT This weird racked 5 pointer (his rack almost looked Roe deer like) or anything bigger was a go.

First day did an am and pm sit and zippo. Second day am sit also nothing. Friend who was hunting down the road came to check the farther out cams for us and he said the odd racked buck had been in one of the food plots several nights around 4:30 so if I could get out to that stand ok he suggested I sit there in pm.

So I put fresh batteries in the flashlight as it is a stand you need to sit til dark so you don't spook out the does and off I went at 1 pm. 4:05 by my watch (it is about 8 min faster than the trail cam) I have a coughing fit and was kicking myself thinking that was my night. But at 4:15 I heard a deer trotting behind me (up wind) and out ran a deer and started eating like a starved fool.

Looked through the scope to see if had antlers and if so to make sure it was not one of the "no shoots" and after a few minutes I get a clear head view and it is the odd racked boy. 30 yards out. Then comes the longest 5 min of my life as I wait for the perfect shot- I get offered a head on with head down, then an almost head on then a quartering to, then a mostly broadside with leg back and finally broadside with leg foreward and I settle the scope where I want it and shoot. He bounces sideways and rears and then bounds off tail up. At the woods edge he gets hung up on a down tree with limbs sticking up and then he's out of sight. I heard him crash but unsure if he just went through brush or was down

Waited a few min and went to check shot sight for blood. ZERO blood or hair. Checked direction of travel. zero blood. Took a quick look at woods edge to see what he got hung up on and scan for a body and nothing

Did not want to mess up the track for the dog so left and called husband to come home. We headed back out right away because the coyotes were massing and closing in- howling back and forth to each other to gather the family group. Bella had no trouble finding and following the track and there was the buck just 50 yards in. he had fallen behind a small berm so was not visible til you were right on him. Only blood was right there with him and not much. Decided to get him out whole to avoid contaminating the food plot area and attracting the coyotes faster.

Gutted him on the lawn in a sled LOL and while doing so 3 coyotes ran across road headed down to where the others were still calling. Missed us completely

Hit the buck just above the heart taking out the arteries where they go into the top of the heart and destroyed both lungs. 118 lbs fully dressed 5 points

Some pics - ladder stand is at about 10 or 11 o'clock from the trail cam, so up and left of the buck and not in cam view

dianes5pt11814.jpg
    5 days before our "meeting"

2stepsbeforeshot.jpg
    2-3 steps before the shot

5ptasfound.JPG
    As found

belladdeer.JPG
    Happy dog Bella

Diane
    Last edited by frontierrots; 11-15-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    Rob & Diane Richardson
    Georges Mills, NH
    Rob Richardson Art
    Dogs By Diane
    Working Class Canine Wildlife Recovery (blood tracking)
    www.frontierrots.com

You must have been psyched! Deer and dog are beauties!

Outstanding, congrats
    “If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting”
    Aristotle

Congrats! Bella looks like she was happy you let her tag along too!

Bella is a girl who loves her job www.frontierrots.com/bella.htm
    Rob & Diane Richardson
    Georges Mills, NH
    Rob Richardson Art
    Dogs By Diane
    Working Class Canine Wildlife Recovery (blood tracking)
    www.frontierrots.com

Good stuff, congrats !!! I love the posts you make about Bella and the tracking. Great reads.

Awesome job ,congrats on breaking the ice thanks for sharing the pics excellent photos
    LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST

For all you do to help others get theirs it's only suitable there was at least one with your name on it. Congratulations!
    Life is short. Choose the mountains you are willing to die on carefully.

Good luck on the trail!

Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing the details as well as the pics! !
    "SO YOU HAVE ENEMIES, GOOD. THAT MEANS YOU HAVE STOOD UP FOR SOMETHING AT SOME POINT IN YOUR LIFE." Winston Churchill

Nice!
    Analog spoken here...