Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - HC Window Decals

Thread: Bird Hunting

Default Bird Hunting

Just an FYI

There’s a new law requiring that partridge taken in the unorganized territories must be “labeled” with the person’s name and date “before the next calendar day,” so I think this only applies if you stay overnight. The North Maine Woods website has a note about it, and I would guess the IF&W site probably also has more info.

New Grouse Law Requires Labelling of Harvested Birds in Unorganized Territories

12 MRSA 11857 is enacted to read:
    11857. Unlawful possession of ruffed grouse
    1. Daily bag limit. A person may not take more than the daily bag limit of ruffed grouse during any open season on ruffed grouse as established by the commissioner.
    2. Possession limit. A person may not possess more than the possession limit of ruffed grouse taken during any open season on ruffed grouse as established by the commissioner.
    3. Duty to label ruffed grouse. A person shall label any ruffed grouse that the person has taken, before the next calendar day begins, with the name of the person who harvested the ruffed grouse and the date it was taken if that person is within or travelling through the unorganized territory.
    4. Penalty. A person who violates this section commits a Class E crime for which a fine of not less than $100 plus $25 for each ruffed grouse taken in violation may be adjudged.

I saw that at the Telos gate last week. Guess I will have to get a sharpie and some of those ziplock bags with the label on them.

Thank you for the heads up. I haven't heard a thing about it.

This is what I have been told and make no claim to its accuarcy and or how correct it is.

IF&W has been struggling with the bird season and the increase in the number of October moose permits (especially in zones 1 and 2). They have seen coolers full of birds coming out of the woods and no real way to keep track of who, what, when, where, and why. I guess this is the response to the issue but I don't see where enforcing the possession limit wouldn't solve the problem.

The short answer from the warden I spoke to is make up a bunch of labels with your name, address, and licence number and leave a line blank to fill in when shot. His words were "label every bird to be safe."

I also say keep a lawyer on retainer to try and keep track of all this crap.

It's on page 8 of this years law book. Under "New laws enacted in 2013-2014". It's a guaranteed money maker for the department.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    This is what I have been told and make no claim to its accuarcy and or how correct it is.

IF&W has been struggling with the bird season and the increase in the number of October moose permits (especially in zones 1 and 2). They have seen coolers full of birds coming out of the woods and no real way to keep track of who, what, when, where, and why. I guess this is the response to the issue but I don't see where enforcing the possession limit wouldn't solve the problem.

The short answer from the warden I spoke to is make up a bunch of labels with your name, address, and licence number and leave a line blank to fill in when shot. His words were "label every bird to be safe."

I also say keep a lawyer on retainer to try and keep track of all this crap.

I sent this to a couple buddies. They never even knew there was an 8 bird possession limit so they can't be saved............They aren't taking more birds than they are allowed per day, but they go up to Patten for a week and come back with 20+.....