Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - HC Window Decals

Thread: Disposal of Wild Game Carcasses in NH

Default Disposal of Wild Game Carcasses in NH

What's the scoop on disposal of wild game carcasses in NH?

My niece's boyfriend was helping a friend put up a treestand this weekend and came across a dump pile of 5-6 tagged wild turkeys that had breast meat cut out and atleast one beard cut off. And a dead skunk.

Not sure if it's private land but, wouldn't this need to be posted if it's a bait pile? If not seems the group who disposed it could take a minute and bury them. Antis would love to see this. I'm assuming they left the tags so they wouldn't be accused of poaching. Is there any laws on disposal of wild game in NH?

I don't know of any laws. I did talk to a CO about it, because I was tossing a turkey carcass and found a doe that had been shot and dumped. He said, as long as it can't be spotted by hikers etc. not a problem. I do remove the tags though.
    There comes a time in the life of every program when it is necessary to shoot the engineers.

Litter laws do apply to dumping of a carcass.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../163-b-mrg.htm
    "We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then, and have known ever since, that there was something new to me in those eyes – something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters’ paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    — Aldo Leopold

Litter laws do apply to dumping of a carcass.
    Then I'd like to know what to do with the carcasses also!!!
    There comes a time in the life of every program when it is necessary to shoot the engineers.

Have landowner permission to dispose of the unwanted parts or dispose of them on your own property. Most trash removal companies will not accept carcasses. What they can not see they can not judge. I have double bagged deer bones and put them in the curbside trash with no problems.
    "We reached the old wolf in time to watch a fierce green fire dying in her eyes. I realized then, and have known ever since, that there was something new to me in those eyes – something known only to her and to the mountain. I was young then, and full of trigger-itch; I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters’ paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    — Aldo Leopold

I have never had an issue putting them in my road side pickup garbage or even taking to the dump/transfer station. My local dump is Wilton and my garbage pickup I get from Monadnock Disposal Services.
    "A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact." - Aldo Leopold

I have a few acres of land and live out in the country so I take the head, ribcage, legs of deer and parts of other animals and wire them up in some trees around the house 6 or 8 ft high. Birds, squirrels, fishers and whatever else pick them all clean in a little while. Coyotes and the neighbors dogs can't reach the stuff. I eventually scatter the bones around in the woods.

I asked him if it was private or public land. He thought it was public. He said it was in a log landing area in plain sight.
    A little discretion goes a long way. Cover them up or at least put them out of sight.

Nothing goes to waste in the wild so I'm sure they'll be gone in a few days. I just think back to the coyote carcasses found in Mass last year that caused a stir with the antis.