Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - HC Window Decals

Thread: Venison Neck Roast

Default Venison Neck Roast

I have seen a number of posts in some of the butchering threads about peoples displeasure for deboning of deer neck meat. Here's my approach. Take the neck section and remove the windpipe, cut in half if too large for one cooking, wrap in plastic and freezer paper whole. When the mood strikes me, I cook the neck roast on low heat in a crockpot with an inch or two of water. Once it has cooked all day and falls off the bone, remove the meat from the bone and discard the water that is in the pot. This is key, that water mix has all of the fatty material that can give the neck roast its poorer flavor. Place meat back into crock pot, from here you have options. I like to add a packet of pot roast seasoning and fresh water and let simmer. I have also done it with barbeque sauce and onions, which creates a pulled pork type feast, great on rolls with cheddar cheese. My wife used to never touch a neck roast until I started cooking them this way, now she loves them. Either way it beats cutting meat off the bone for burger and there is no waste as everything falls off the bone.

That is a great idea, I never thought of doing it that way. I'll try it this year if I get the opportunity, thanks!

Do you tie the roast?
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Thoughts on having spinal tissue in the mix? I'm not convinced heat kills some stuff

H4285 in committee, contact the 3 rep's and 3 sen's and let them know how you feel... and only two days left til it dies on the vine

Quote Originally Posted by MBullism View Post
    Thoughts on having spinal tissue in the mix? I'm not convinced heat kills some stuff
    Are you thinking CWD?
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

I'm thinking anything I don't understand, I guess... if a prion can "live" in the dirt for extended periods, I'm not sure is all. Yah, I know...no cwd in MA...some guy in westboro just keeled over from EEE, f'g ticks everywhere...talkin out loud i guess....just as soon debone it.

H4285 in committee, contact the 3 rep's and 3 sen's and let them know how you feel... and only two days left til it dies on the vine

It's known that prion diseases can survive extremes of heat and cold, so it's a reasonable concern. I would advocate taking the extra 5-10 min and debone it as said above. Burger, roast, stew, whatever- just use it and feel good about it.
    To persevere is to consciously suffer. It is the backbone of a true athlete. It is a suffering with purpose in mind, with the completion of a goal as reward at the other end. -Jessica Baker

Quote Originally Posted by mbVT View Post
    It's known that prion diseases can survive extremes of heat and cold, so it's a reasonable concern. I would advocate taking the extra 5-10 min and debone it as said above. Burger, roast, stew, whatever- just use it and feel good about it.
    +1 Sans the stew meat. Burger and roast only.
    Follow your dreams, especially if your dreams are leaving tracks in a fresh 6 in. snowfall!