Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - HC Window Decals

Thread: TC Omega + William's peep sight = not hitting paper!

Default TC Omega + William's peep sight = not hitting paper!

I purchased a Williamís receiver (peep) sight for my Thompson Center Omega. It came with Williamís fiber optic sights from the factory; in fact, the ramp portion that mounts to the barrel was identical in height as the factory sight. A peep sight works best if you can get it closer to your eye and further away from the front sight so I mounted it in the two scope mounting holes that were furthest back.
    Before I took my original rear sight off I tied to adjust the peep to be in line with the factory sight as I had the factory sight adjusted perfectly. What I found was I had to raise the peep sight so high that a quarter of it was hanging off the front of the ramp. I figured I was doing something wrong so I adjusted it back down so it matched the same graduation mark I had the factory sight set at.
    Well a trip to the range confirmed my fears. At 25yards I couldnít get it on paper. Of course the cardboard and plywood scraps at the range were so shot up I couldnít tell where I was hitting. I took a fresh piece of plywood and stuck a target with an 8Ē circle on it. My first shot was at least 6Ē below the target. I adjusted the sight up until 1/3 of it was hanging off the front of the ramp and this only brought me within two inches below the 8Ē circle.
    Obviously, this isnít good. When I got home I tried to put a straight edge to see if the barrel tapered down towards the breech from the point where the factory rear sight was installed but I couldnít confirm that. Iím thinking it has to be the case however as the ramp portion of the factory and the peep sight are identical in height. It also appears that the bottom of the notch in the factory rear blade is the same distance as the center of the peep sightís orifice.
    I bought the peep sight from Cabelaís and because they didnít offer a shorter front blade with it as a set I assumed I could use the factory height front sight. A quick check of the Williamís catalog does not list a front sight change as being needed when using the receiver sight.
    So what can I do at this point?
    Did you know $500 will get your head blown off?
    It will....ha, ha, ha

regarding the barrel being tapered...do you have a micrometer to check the diameter from front sight and at the rear sight?

Maybe try switch out the front sight with a shorter one?
    Erik
    "Nothing sweeter than the sound of Beagle Music!" :)

You need a lower front sight. I mounted a Williams receiver sight on my 742 carbine and had the same problem. I don't remember the formula but there's one to figure out the proper height for the front sight .Maybe if you called Williams they could help you.

Originally posted by Flatlander
    You need a lower front sight. I mounted a Williams receiver sight on my 742 carbine and had the same problem. I don't remember the formula but there's one to figure out the proper height for the front sight .Maybe if you called Williams they could help you.
    I sent a fax to Williams AND TC; no response from either of them yet; I'll have to call soon.

The thing that bugs me is the Williams catalog states that you need a different front sight for several models of rifles (your 7400 included) but it doesn't list any front sight change for the TC Omega which, IMO, leads you to believe that you don't need one...
    Did you know $500 will get your head blown off?
    It will....ha, ha, ha