Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Escouting...

Default First Bird of 2018 5/1/18

Interesting day today. I had planned on not hunting in the early morning, but I was wide awake at 3:45am so I decided to go to my friends house down the street and give it a whirl. Birds were gobbling on the roost, but after fly down they clammed up and headed down the power line. I was back home by 6:30, and on the way I saw something I’d never seen before. 3 toms were strutting in front of 2 hens that were perched on top of a rail fence. They were right around the corner from my house and decided to see if they could hear me from my yard, but no luck. Dropped my son off at daycare and headed out again at 9. I parked on section of a power line, started walking in and realized I forgot my gloves so up I walked back to the truck and heard 2 quick shots very close. Decided to jump in the truck and head back up to my morning spot, but head further back on the powerline. Got a few poles in and heard a gobble. Got myself set against a tree inside a corner of woods that I occasionally deer hunt, and started calling. He came poking along the edge and when I saw his head at 30 yards I fired. He dropped in his tracks and barely flopped. 22 pounds, 3/4” spurs, and 10” beard. I have killed 3 birds in this spot since 2014.

0321C400-07F6-417A-B24B-F750DE994082.jpg

CBD8430C-7B4E-47A8-BB35-6F78BDD5ADFF.jpg

6CECC5ED-F612-4466-AFF6-9AF7569C9891.jpg
    Last edited by Escout711; 05-01-2018 at 08:17 PM.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Default 5/3/18 MA Bird #2

Interesting morning today. I got to my spot at 4:40 and the turkeys were already really gobbling their heads off. I got set at 4:45 and hunkered down against a boulder in the middle of the powerline. There were gobbles coming from every direction, it was looking like it was going to be a good morning. At 5:05 2 hunters came in and almost stepped on me. I let them know and they continued to head south down the line. The gobbling kept up, and soon I started to hear a hen yelping. I was trying to figure out if was a real hen or the other hunters, but if it was the other guys the were REALLY close. I was doing some calling, but the other “hen” was really cranking, so I decided that I was in the middle between the gobblers and the “hen” and set my call down and let the yelper pull the gobblers out. A hen walked behind me a took off flying north, saw her glide all the way up the line. At 5:48 I texted a buddy telling him about the other hunters and that the gobblers were booming. Literally 2 minutes later I saw 2 gobblers pop out of the woodline and when they separated I shot one. He went rolling/running/flapping into the woods and I had to chase him down. When I popped out of the woods, the other hunters were about 20 yards from where I was sitting, laying belly down trying to call the other gobbler back.

After they gave gave up we talked a bit. It was a father and teenage son that live locally. Unfortunately, they told me they only went down to the next pole to set up. I told them I was glad that I didn’t shoot in theit direction and the dad said “we were behind a rock and so were you, so it wasn’t a problem.” I would have been pretty pissed if they shot in my direction!

Ive been waiting for the chance to get a picture with my son and a turkey. The one I shot on Tuesday was after I dropped him off at daycare, so I didn’t have a chance to. Im looking forward to many years of hunting with my little hunting buddy!

17 Pounds, 7/8” spurs, 9.5” beard
    9A38DE81-A6BD-4452-BC8F-AAF63632B3D5.jpg

2BE4F6C4-EEC8-41EA-B747-C07448096B10.jpg
    Last edited by Escout711; 05-03-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."