Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Escouting...

Default 11/1/17

Another really slow day. Hunted from first light until 8:45am, them had to take Levi to daycare. Found a new scrape in a little pine grove on the way out. Got back out on stand from 1:30- almost dark, this time deeper back by where I got my bucks last year. Climbed down a little early to check the field on my way out, 2 skippers in the field.
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Default 11/2/17

Really unseasonably warm and uncomfortable day. I dropped my son off at daycare and hit the woods with the intent of sitting 10-2. It hit 74 degrees, and I got down at noon. Headed to grab a couple beers and chicken wings with a buddy who killed a forkhorn in the morning. I got back in stand for a 4-dark sit and saw nothing. I was watching the field and at 5pm the farmer drive his truck 30 yards from me and started chainsawing a tree that fell in his field. Lots of sweat today, really crazy warm and the mosquitoes were out.

Default 11/3/17

Another really warm morning. Was 62 and foggy, with temps headed for 76. Sat the field edge stand until 9:30, only deer seen was a button buck. Took the rest of the day off from hunting and spent the day with my son. The weather for tomorrow looks awesome, 38 in the morning and a high of 55. I am hoping for some action! So far I‘ve got nearly 50 hours on stand, and I?ve only seen a handful of skippers, a doe, and the big buck I jumped on my way to my stand last week.

Default 11/4/17

Hunted almost the whole day. Temps started off just above freezing, and it felt like a perfect day to be out. I was back at the spot I killed my Halloween buck last year, and I felt like it was going to be a good day. I made it to 11am, then climbed down and went to check a couple of things out. I found that the annual scrape on the cut opened up recently, so for the afternoon I setup in a tree facing it. I was 8-10 feet up, but brushed in very well so I feel like I am really well hidden. I hunted until dark and saw nothing. I will be back in that spot on Monday.

Default 11/6/17

Another rough day today. Clocks rolled back this weekend, so shooting light is around 6am. I had to take Levi to daycare, and didn?t get on stand until 8:30. I hunted my hang on right behind J and L?s house becaus I had seen 3 bald deer in the field on my to drop Levi off, and thought I might be better off hunting close to them. Plus, the SW wind was perfect. Stayed on stand until 1, no luck. Went back at 3 and sat the edge of the field hoping to see a deer step out so I could narrow down a trail. Nothing appeared. Checked my camera and the big brow 8 is still hanging around, yesterday at 3:28am.

Default 11/7/17

Hunted from sunup to 9:15 today because I had to take my son to the doctor at 11am. I was in stand by 5:30, the weather nice and cool, about 40. At 8:15 a skipper ran past my stand at 100mph, and I though maybe a buck would be behind, but no luck. Got back on stand in the afternoon, and although the conditions seemed perfect, overcast, mid 50s, light breeze, nothing appeared. Watching scrapes sure can be boring.

Default 11/8/17

Dropped my boy off at daycare, and hit the stand by 9am. It feels weird missing first light, and by 11am I was way too fidgety to stay on stand. Got down and poked around a bit, found some decently fresh sign on the field corner. Decided to pull out of this spot and hunt behind my house for the rest of the day. Nice fresh scrape and a couple of rubs had me hopeful. At 4:30 I thought my bad luck was about to change as I could hear running toward me. A big red fox popped out and ran under me. I squeaked at him and he checked me out for a few seconds before running back down into the swamp. It was a chilly day, 40 and rainy in morning, and got up to about 52 with a NE wind. Colder weather headed this way for the next few days.

Default 11/11/17 Veterans Day Doe

After logging a lot of unsuccessful hours the last 2 days, including sitting through 45mph wind gusts and near freezing temps on Friday, today was another very cold morning. 17 degrees at 5am and I stayed home a little longer and drank another cup of trying to muster the courage to go sit in the cold. I got to my spot at 6:15 and saw a doe and 2 skippers in the upper field, a good sign. I went in, walked around a bit and decided I needed to my climber from the gas line to the field. I packed up and then peeked into the field. A saw a lone doe standing in the field 75 yards out. A watched her for awhile, hoping she might wander my way or lure a buck in. After 10 minutes of watching her, a good sized 4 pointer and spike showed up and started sparring on the other end of the field. I watched them disappear into the back corner, and knew right where I needed to be. I moved my climber over to the corner, set back in 30 yard. I had thick bedding behind me and the field in front. I picked a skinny oak that gave me good shooting and then decided I needed to go home to warm up and eat lunch, I wouldn?t be able to make it from 9:30-dark without the pit stop.

Got myself setup on stand at noon, and settled in for the afternoon. It warmed up to mid 30s, but the NW wind was still blowing a bit and it was a cold sit even with the many layers I was wearing. At 1:30 skippers started appearing in the field, eventually 5 of them munched and bedded until the 4 pointer from the morning showed up a little after 4pm and started chasing the little ones around the field. I hit the cam call a few times to catch his attention, and he eventually heard me. He walked right to the edge of the field and made a scrape. He was 40 yards out, and facing me, but he was on the other side of the barbed wire, and I didn?t have a clear shot. Eventually I saw him walk down the edge of the woods and then try to circle downwind of me. I lost sight of him, but I heard more deer coming at 4:50. I had my bow up and my eyes were looking for the deer. A nice doe got chased right past my stand. I figured there was a buck behind her, and I tried to spot him but couldn?t. Light was fading fast, and I had to make a decision. She stepped out from behind a pine tree, and she was hard quartering away at 15 yards when I took the shot. I watched her run back the way she came, and then 50 yards out I saw the tail of the second deer take off. I climbed down, didn?t see my arrow but the blood trail was ridiculous and gruesome. No doubt she was a dead deer so I started marking the trail. She went into the thickest nastiest tangle of crap, and after 100 yards I decided to back out for a bright flashlight and a buddy to help.

My buddy Keith came to help, and we had no trouble at all following the trail, but it just kept going. The doe went over 200 yards, which was ridiculous for how insane the blood trail was. I switched up my broadheads this year to NAP Killzone specifically because I knew how nasty thick this spot is, and I wanted a good blood trail. It took us 10 minutes to find her. The arrow was found halfway through the blood trail, it penetrated fully but didn?t pass through. Didn?t matter, I nicked the heart and severed the trachea and arteries. She had buck semen leaking from her, so it was a good bet the other deer was a buck. I probably should have waited for the buck, but it was a bird in the hand, and good meat in the freezer. She dressed 105#.

Doe.jpg

Doe 3.jpg

Doe 1.jpg
    Last edited by Escout711; 11-13-2017 at 09:53 AM.