Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - HC Window Decals

Thread: If you feed deer in the winter...what are you using?

Default If you feed deer in the winter...what are you using?

Not sure where to post this...but I see plenty of pics over feed here-
    A friend of mine feeds deer through the winter...he asked me to see what folks on H/C are using for feed. Thanks-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Labs View Post
    Not sure where to post this...but I see plenty of pics over feed here-
    A friend of mine feeds deer through the winter...he asked me to see what folks on H/C are using for feed. Thanks-Tim
    Maple tops. Only the best USDA couldn't figure out how to approve it if they knew what it was, organic, NH born feed for my deer. But, that's probably not what you meant. Sorry.

Mollasses deer corn

on the Diane/Rob soapbox for just a moment

corn in any great quantity is bad for all ruminents (and is one of the reasons feed lot cattle get medication a lot)

If your choice is to not feed deer or to feed corn, then it is healtheir for the deer to just not feed because they can die with a belly full of undigested corn

Some of the premier deer biologists like Dr J Kroll do NOT think feeding deer is detrimental and is in fact useful in maintaining good buck/doe condition (and high birth success) and in growing big racks as long as these criteria are met:

the food is supplemental to natural food and not exclusionary
    food is a balanced ration
    corn is kept to a minimal %
    deer are fed in such a way that all herd members can access it and not be driven off by more dominant animals
    deer are not fed in an area they would not normally be in during the winter nor in an area where they will have to travel any great distance from their "yarding area" nor where they be crossing a dangerous road (preferably no roads)

WHEN we fed the deer at our other house we had both a feeder and also spread the feed daily in a LARGE U shape to avoid any fighting. They were fed very close to where they wintered and traveled normally

we fed a mix of Blueseal wildlife feed and blue seal OR antler king pellets and towards the end also added a bit of BBE

alternatively you can plant food plots with food items they can dig up and eat through the winter like oats, winter rye and turnips and also cut firewood and leave the tops accessible

Diane
    Last edited by nhshedhunter; 02-11-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    Rob & Diane Richardson
    original co-founders of the NH Shed Hunters Club

NH Shed Hunter's Blog

Working Class Canine Wildlife Recovery (blood tracking)

Rob Richardson Art

We have always used Blue Seal course 14. Like Diane said, spread it around. THis year has been slow with only a few coming in at a time until this week. Then one night 15 showed up at once and they haven't established any group etiquette yet and were fighting a lot. Funny thing is though, it's not usually the bigger ones that are aggressive. AS they get used to each other they seem to more tolerant.
    "SO YOU HAVE ENEMIES, GOOD. THAT MEANS YOU HAVE STOOD UP FOR SOMETHING AT SOME POINT IN YOUR LIFE." Winston Churchill

I have 3 cams set up with corn in front of them. In addition to the corn, I placed 3 apples in front of each. Strangely, the deer have not paid any attention to the corn or apples. I have pics of deer walking by one the cams, but it didn't stop to to eat. I don't know if that means they have sufficient natural food that they are filling up on, or if they don't like Agway corn and MacIntosh apples...
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

i use deer feed from agway and corn.....

I put it out in a long straight line so they can all feed at once....

I dont get fighting though.....the deer i have are in three packs...they never seem to intermingle....I can tell apart by the skippers....

they dont hammer it ...they eat alittle at a time.....

the bucks dont touch it at this spot
    sitting works if your in the right spot

Purina deer chow...