Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - HC Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to clean and perserve a deer skull

Default how to clean and perserve a deer skull

i have completly skinned and removed all the excess meat and fat from the skull.
    i have been told that i use some baking soda and detergent when doing the skull.

anyone know of any websites that could lead me in the right direction?

I heard that you need to boil it to get all that crap off.

i am in the process of that now. in the rain she does not allow me to do it in the house. but it was alright for her to come home and see the entire head in the sink winking at her when she got home from work one night. i guess that's what i get.

Bring Water to a boil . Then turn down to simmer with a cup of Powder Tide with Bleach. Simmer to all the meat lossens , Then remove from water solution and then get any more fat and meat off that you can . Then soak in Peroxide to the whiting of your liking. Dont get any of the rack in the Peroxide as it will whiten as well.

I have a pick of one I did last year . I 'll post it up when I get home. Came out nice

European Mount Instructions
    Back

Instructions For Making A European Mount:

1. Skin head out as soon as possible.

2. Freeze if necessary, but it is better not to freeze.

3. Put 1 cup of Arm & Hammer laundry detergent per gallon of water into a pot of boiling water and stir until soapy.

4. Place skull in pot of boiling water(not a hard rapid boil but a nice easy boil). Boil for 3-6 hours, removing the head ~every hour and cutting off cooked scrap meat/flesh. Boil until all meat/scrap is well cooked. Note - Might want to do this outside to keep the wife happy as it does smell.

5. After boiling remove head and go to the nearest car wash and use the pressure wash to remove ALL meat/scrap from scull. This can get pretty messy…..and gross! Use caution around nose pieces to not break them off. Be sure to insert the wand tip in all holes inside the skull to blow out ALL the waste. Blow the brains out from the hole in the back of the skull blowing towards the nose. Place your foot on an antler to hold the skull while getting the wand tip very close to the hard to get pieces and keep working until it is ALL cleaned off.

6. Take the clean skull and coat it with “40 Volume Peroxide Cream”. It is used by women to bleach hair and can be found in beauty supply stores(Sally’s, etc…). Using an old small paintbrush, put a thick coating of the peroxide cream onto the skull being VERY careful not to get any on the antlers. If you get some on the antlers, wipe off with a wet rag. After about 3 hours rinse with a water hose outside and repeat(maybe 2-3x) until the skull is pure bright white. BTW, Clorox would keep bleaching and eating away at the skull but this peroxide won’t, so don’t use bleach.

7. That’s it! The skull can now be either mounted on a pedestal, plaque, or simply displayed by being hung on the wall with a drywall screw.

8. The European mount is complete and you’re only out a little time and effort. Part of the job is nasty but the reward is worth much more than the small price of getting wet and a few chunks of cooked meat on you. Enjoy!
    The days in agony are over. It won't happen again, Honest injun.....

My tools...
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...5/sluggun2.jpg<----------<<<<< http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...65/vortec2.jpg

There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun. - Fred Bear

Archery Plus - The Bowhunter's Pro Shop
    http://www.archeryplusllc.com

NWTF - Central Mass Chapter Website
    http://www.centralmassnwtf.com

thank you all for the help and info.

well i am at it again. i had to boil water and put it into a 5 gallon bucket and keep doing so to soften the left overs on the skull. it was bad and my basement stunk.

my wife is giving me the okay to go ahead and cook it on the stove tonight. all i got is the meaty part in the sockets and the last few parts of meat near the base of the head, and of course the skin that held is held around the teeth.

quick question:

should the lower jaw bone seperate from the upper part of the skull? due to the muscle holding them togther.

also how many times should i dip the head and leave it in the poroxide?

Yes the jaw will separate . Myself I just used the upper portion. Dont keep dipping let in soak
    Soak in Peroxide to the whiting of your liking. Dont get any of the rack in the Peroxide as it will whiten as well.

Here's 2 I did