Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: DLuke's Hunting Journal

12/3/17

Up at 415 and up to pick up dad. Made into the same stand I shot the buck from on Thursday about 15 minutes before legal light. Gave it until 800am and backed out of there. Small little spot so I'm making sure the wind is right and won't walk anywhere but my little trimmed trail to the stand. Nothing happening this morning. Gonna take a ride down tomorrow, Sunday, and get my climber snugged to a tree for use next week. Don't want to get lazy this early and burn out stands.... No deer seen by either of us...brought my Thursday deer to meat cutter late morning.
    Last edited by DLuke; 12-05-2017 at 02:10 PM.

12/4/17

Usual routine, up on time then up to pick up dad. Sat till 8:30 am with no deer sighted by either of us. Drop off dad, then had some personal stuff to attend to. Will hunt again tomorrow early. The grind part of December hunting appears to be starting! Talking about snow at the end of the week...
    Last edited by DLuke; 12-05-2017 at 02:11 PM.

12/5/17

Another uneventful couple hours in the woods this morning then off to work. I checked my trail cams and the night time activity has been fairly good over the past several days. I am going to bring my climber with me tomorrow and after hunting one of my ladders early I am going to attach my climber to the base of a tree in a hunch spot for the following couple of mornings..... We'll see what develops.

Gave it another whirl today with no luck. Going to take a few days off at this point to get back into the swing of things at work and get caught up. If we get some snow on Saturday I will give it a shot, but otherwise, will be watching weather forecasts for snow. Just about time to climb down out of the tree and start following some tracks around....

12/7/17

Last try of shotgun season, as I have stuff to do the next couple days. Nothing happening today. Will change over all my stuff to muzzleloader for next week and will wait for weather to decide if I'm going to hunt or not a bit more often for the next three weeks.

12/11/17

Snow overnight Saturday into Sunday lingered for today and was in pretty good shape still. When there is snow I like to try to find a track heading into the right place where I know I can follow it. I parked and left the truck after daybreak as I know that the tracks are usually real close and when you find them the deer can be anywhere so there is no real reason to be in early if not in a tree. I didn't find anything fresh in the back field where I have my cams so I headed east down a series of old tote roads and ATV trails that lead out to a small field. A few tracks crossed the road, heading in tight behind houses to the south. I kept going around the field and down into where it starts to get lower. Turkey tracks joined in on the road with some frozen deer tracks. As I poked along, black movement out ahead of me made me stop. It was a flock of turkeys cutting across right to left out at about 60 or so yards. I watched them putt along for a bit, and when I took another step forward I saw the back of a deer. I put the scope up and saw some sort of antlers over its head, lowered the crosshairs and let one rip. I had to give him another from about half the distance to seal the deal. About a 120lb. six pointer....

deer.jpg

tractor.jpg

knife.jpg