Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - HC Window Decals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with high wind

Default Hunting with high wind

Hey, this is my first post and my first season hunting up in NH. I was planning on going this weekend but saw that there might be a storm with 30+MPH winds. Is this conditions you would want to hunt in? I read that deer don;t move as much in high winds, but I wasn't sure if this is high for this area.

Quote Originally Posted by dipmiami View Post
    Hey, this is my first post and my first season hunting up in NH. I was planning on going this weekend but saw that there might be a storm with 30+MPH winds. Is this conditions you would want to hunt in? I read that deer don;t move as much in high winds, but I wasn't sure if this is high for this area.
    I think it depends on the area of the country because some areas are prone to higher winds than others but as a general rule I think that when you've got 30+ mph winds the deer will remain bedded and you'd have to spot and stalk to see one. Definitely wouldn't recommend sitting too high in a tree during 30+ mph winds!

I think you're best bet with the upcoming storm is to be out there as soon as you can after it passes. After prolonged rain/snow and high winds the deer will be itchin' to get on their feet and feed.

Welocome DM...

right before a storm is a good time to, imo... the "usual" winds do factor into it, but generally 30 mph will definately put them off their feet (most). Charlie A says the limit is around 12 mph, but your mileage may vary..

H4285 past committee, to be voted on 7-31-14 WITH fid limited suitability... It's now or never. Call. Email. Vote.

With the weather coming in this weekend I will NOT be making the drive down to CT. Too much wind for me.

its looking like Saturday and Sunday will be bad, I guess taht's the name of the game for the weekend warrior!
    There are three types of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Quote Originally Posted by dipmiami View Post
    its looking like Saturday and Sunday will be bad, I guess taht's the name of the game for the weekend warrior!
    yup... the wind may dictate where I go, but it won't dictate if I go

you gotta go when you can and take what they give you

H4285 past committee, to be voted on 7-31-14 WITH fid limited suitability... It's now or never. Call. Email. Vote.

Yeah, I think I might just go to a spot that has some shelter and walk REALLY slow, but sitting up in a tree does not seem like a good plan for now.
    There are three types of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

BBhunter1002 Guest

They move in 20+ MPH wind....I usually use days like that to poke around and scout for better days.

I have seen a fair share of deer moving around in bad weather from either a tree or the ground. However, the areas where I have seen/shot deer in bad weather have little to no pressure, I am guessing that would be a factor as well. During the ML and gun season I like using the wind and rain to my advantage to get into places that any other time would be noisy walking around.

Last report I saw has me itching to be out tonight(cant) and tomorrow night/Saturday morn. If they hunker down from the hard rains tonight and tomorrow morn, they WILL get up and move to eat tomorrow afternoon.
    "SO YOU HAVE ENEMIES, GOOD. THAT MEANS YOU HAVE STOOD UP FOR SOMETHING AT SOME POINT IN YOUR LIFE." Winston Churchill