Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - HC Window Decals

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is the highest deer density in the US?

Well I do buy into those pics, but with a little effort and timing (though it would be bad for the deer) I could have every deer from several mountains in my yard also. Winter densities have to be measured over the entire land area and the land around that area is going to be barren of deer. The 30-45 deer per sq mile shown in central Maine would rival some of the most prime in the country. The kill numbers just don't support it (unless I'm remembering wrong). Here in NH the highest deer densities (again unless I'm remembering wrong are down in zone M, hence the liberal tags). The Rochester/Dover area I'm quite familiar as it is where I was born and started out. If the deer numbers were that high in those areas, the kill/auto collisions would reflect it vs zone M and I just don't think they do. I'll buy into the numbers if someone can give me some objective evidence. Seeing a passle of deer that are being fed in the winter just shows that every deer for miles has showed up at the buffet.

NH Native , What exactly has been your personal experience regarding deer in central Maine? Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by bigrak; 04-27-2010 at 11:34 PM.
    55 & going strong!
    Never too old to get in shape!!

I have seen the simalar thing in a womans yard here. She will have 50-60 deer in her yard at once. When the snow melts they are long gone and dispersed through out the sorounding mountains. We are in a vally where I live and she gets them from all over. Never been to where that picture was, but Im sure that some areas when you place food are just that core spot that will drag them for miles.

Big Rak. Not sure if these qualify as central Maine by your definition, but I have hunted Richmond, Solon/Bingham, Katahdin/Brownville Jct, Greenville, around Livermore Falls, Gorham and a few other places between the rivers that I don't remember. As well as the western Mountains, Downeast and Southern Maine. At the time the deer numbers were good in the more central areas, but no chance 30-45 per (except maybe in small pockets). As a reference I hunted southern Maine as a kid around my hometown, where densities were around 20 per. And more recently in RI where densities were much higher. I'd say the Katahdin area had around 20 per as they headed into our area toward their yards. Richmond the same throughout the area. Between the rivers was good to as I remember it. The rest less. A lot of that hunting was on good snow. What I saw and whether I killed big bucks every year, or for that matter whether you do still amounts to anectdotal evidence rather than objective evidence. I'm open to be proven wrong if anyone can provide objective evidence, I just haven't seen it. 35-40 deer per square mile amounts to a slam dunk buck every year for any decent hunter (practicaly), and that is just not the case. And, I still don't think those areas in Stratford County NH have higher densities than zone M or the state would be addressing it. Again, if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time.
    Last edited by NH Native; 04-28-2010 at 07:50 AM.

Finding the highest deer density in the U.S. is likely to be subjective. Areas of New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island and New York have pockets of heavy deer populations. These "pockets" are amongst housing developments and million dollar homes. Determining exact number of deer per square mile is nearly impossible. Hunting those populations is very difficult as well.

I agree with native 35-45 deer per sq mile in central Maine is very unlikely. If deer where that thick, no one, that includes Maine's retired deer biologist, would be crucifying a deer predator.

Years ago I distinctly remember watching a hunting show with photographer/hunter Leonard Le Rue III. He mentioned that NJ (his home state) had the highest density (deer/sq mile) than any other state. He did say most people would be suprised but it's a small state with a large deer population. The number reflects the entire state not just specific sections.

Not sure if this is still true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
    Years ago I distinctly remember watching a hunting show with photographer/hunter Leonard Le Rue III. He mentioned that NJ (his home state) had the highest density (deer/sq mile) than any other state. He did say most people would be suprised but it's a small state with a large deer population. The number reflects the entire state not just specific sections.

Not sure if this is still true.
    Well, based on the number of tags that a hunter is allowed in NJ, that would make sense!
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

An interesting map and probably more reflective of deer numbers than most.

Quote Originally Posted by shedder View Post

An interesting map and probably more reflective of deer numbers than most.
    The map is really interesting for sure. The only thing about it is that doesn't reflect lyme disease per capita which would be even more useful. You would expect to see a lot of lyme disease cases in areas of high suburban population with lots of people and lots of deer. But, in a rural population with low human population, the percentage of people with lyme disease may be high while the overall cases low. Look at Maine for example, the lyme disease cases look like an overlay of the population density. I am surprised that southwest NY state has almost no cases, that is deer central!
    My people call me "Stands on Logging Roads."

Look at Mass, that would expain alot of things to me, doesnt lyme desease effect the thinking process?