Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - HC Window Decals

Thread: Deer season outlook and Maine Sportsman Article

Default Deer season outlook and Maine Sportsman Article

Maine guys, how do you think the deer season and deer numbers look for this year? I read somewhere that Lee Kantar predicted a kill of 19,500. Second lowest ever if I remember right. Anyway what are you guys seeing and do you think 19,500 is on or will the kill be even lower.
    And has anyone read the article in this months issue of the Maine Sportsman by Dick Arsenault, Big Bucks Down and Maine Losing Millions. I can't argue with anything he writes, at least from my observations in hunting Maine for the last 30 years. What does everyone think, I hope someone has some good news.

Slim pickens in the upper part and to the Eastern side of the State. Talked to 2 different groups of guys who were up in Moose zones 4 and 5 all of last week. One group saw 1 deer track all week and they were on foot quite a bit walking/ calling on winter roads , etc. The other group saw 1 yearling deer in 8 days. There are small pockets of deer here and there but overall it is terriblly low the number of deer.
    Central Maine still has descent numbers in most areas and down here in the Southern part as well.
    I read both articles and can`t argue much about what was said.

I know many foresters and biologists that say they have seen more deer in the woods this year than in past years. I thought the same thing. Lets hope they stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by MGK View Post
    I know many foresters and biologists that say they have seen more deer in the woods this year than in past years. I thought the same thing. Lets hope they stick around.
    I talked with a guy this morning who knows a college kid that worked for Seven Islands this summer in The North Maine Woods. The students were given GPS coordinates and was to hike into certain waypoints to do Forestry sampling. The kid saw 11 deer all summer long.

Seems from all the reading the best areas to hunt would be the farmlands instead of the Northwoods in Maine.....
    55 & going strong!
    Never too old to get in shape!!

I was with MGK when our forester buddy told us of the number of deer he'd been seeing. We actually saw a good number of deer all summer also. That said, I'm just back from 2 1/2 days in the woods and never saw a track. We were in great deer country.

Not seeing many here in the Wales area. Old man saw 2 bucks out the back window at the tree line a month ago, and I have seen a couple here and there. My hunting area here is showing above average activity around my ground blinds.

There are hardly any deer where I hunt in Jackman or Kingman on a good year so, I don't get too worked about the numbers. I figure I'm going to these camps anyway so I might have to hunt just a bit harder or run the rabbit's food a little more.

It's going to be tough until the state gets on the ball and enforces the cutting practices in regards to identified deer yards.