Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer calls & technique

Default Deer calls & technique

This is one of those questions that I've had a long time and I'm sure these's no easy cut and dry answers to. I'll try to keep his as short as I can. I for one, am a beleiver in calls and have seen first hand that they (grunt and bleat) do work sometimes (the times they have worked for me - always on unsuspecting deer, never for nervous alerted deer)

There are tons of deer call's out there, most of which sound basically similar...You have your grunt (doe, buck..etc), you have the bleat (doe, fawn, buck...ect), then your snort wheeze but lets keep it simple and stick to bleat and grunt calls. All make "a sound" of some kind when you put air thru them but it's seems their are many guys that have great success wth them and many that don't. I know there is alot more to calling than just blowing thru the call, like length of call, how much emphasis you put on it, how you start, how you tail off, how often and how many times in a sequence etc....

IMO the timing and technique is far more important than the brand of call. Are the any good websites that explain call techniques that aren't necessarily trying to sell any specific calls ?

.....or is there a way that we can post .wav files to learn from guys that have had success calling, etc... ?

Great post! Hope we can come up with some good info. I WANT to know!
    Another thing to consider in the question is "the timing of the season." Pre-rut, rut, post-rut?

The other night when I saw the buck, I just gave him a 1-2 second "uuuurrp" and he looked my way. I waited 10 secs or so, and let him have another. He stood up and came right to me. I know this is not always going to be the case but it was AWESOME to see once in my life and to seal the deal afterwards makes it even sweeter!

I've used this site for ring tones before - maybe someone could listen to a few of them and give their oppinion on the authenticity of the calls
    http://www.western-rivers.com/downloads.html
    Last edited by BuckFeva; 09-27-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: link

The Illusion Extinguisher is neat call. It has a slide so you get fawn, doe and buck sounds all in one call. It comes with a DVD that explains how to use the call and under what circumstances different sounds should be made. http://illusionsystems.com/products/Whitetail+Systems The Drury's buck growl also cam with a pretty decent DVD.
    www.groundedfilms.com
    www.facebook.com/GroundedFilmsOutdoors
    Northeast Hunting videos and pictures.

its been my experience that bucks respond to grunts year round, not jsut near or around the rut. the calls I always have with me are a rattle bag, grunt tube, and doe bleat. The illusion call has the big buck grunt, little buck grunt, doe grunt, doe bleat and fawn bleet in one call so I carry that and the rattle back, I do a snort wheeze with my mouth and thats about it.

20 years ago I bought a Lohman grunt call and it came with a cassette tape explaining all the different sounds deer make. It said the grunt was a form of language amoung deer and made by all deer, year round. If I remember correctly, the most common among deer language was 2-3 short grunts...if you try to blow and say 'eck, eck, eck' thru the call it shortens it so it sounds like a general communication grunt. Also the bleat was much like "the can" nowadays and used as general communication but sometimes could mean a warning.

I've had one bad experience with "The Can" where the deer was meandering around my stand with no clear shot and when it was just gonna go out of site I hit "The Can" and it bolted, flagging all the way.

Another experience with "The Can" is I hit it 15 minutes after seeing some deer and did have one come in for a shot. Never got the deer and I'm not sure if it reacted to the call or was just milling around the area.

After the first experience, I bought the "Lil Can" which is smaller and not as loud. I had a Doe and Skipper near my stand out of range this past weekend and after they left I hit it a couple times 15 minutes apart and did see the skipper an hour and half later. Not sure if it was the call or not.

A few years ago I had a buck go by my stand and couldn't get a shot so I grunted and he didn't give me the time of day.

My brother-in-law grunted in a massive 8 pointer several years ago during the rut. This buck came running into the call.

I rattled in a skipper in Alabama several years ago.

My biggest buck was called by the grunt away from the doe he was tight to , I admit he didn't go far from his girl but it did the job !!
    I was holding a 30.06 and could have shot him anyway but the grunt got him about 30 yards away and it was a VERY EASY SHOT .

The first grunt got his attention , but the next grunt had him coming right to me , on the second grunt I had the tube turned towards the back of me ,
    don't know if that help ???

I have seen some good size bucks alone and they didn't even flick a ear with the grunt tube . Then on one hunt I didn't see this small six pointer until it was too late and I grunted and the deer was so close and looking right at the tree that I couldn't move . Yeah i think it works sometimes ? I hunt in Connecticut and the rifle season is usually rut time.

This is a great topic to discuss !!!!! Thanks

In all, Some calls work sometimes, other times they don't .If deer were that easy to figure out , it wouldn't be as interesting and nerve racking!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    The first grunt got his attention , but the next grunt had him coming right to me , on the second grunt I had the tube turned towards the back of me ,..... Yeah i think it works sometimes ?
    This is exactly what I'd like to figure out...of the times they actually work, what was it that you think you did right? In your instance...the buck was close, you turned the tube away from the deer (making it sound farther away or softer) this obviuosly sparked his curiosity. Sometimes I think when the deer is within ...say..60 yards and you blow a loud grunt right at them, they get spooked as it's too loud. I often blow the tube into my jacket if I can't see more than 50 yards or so just in case there's something just out of visual range. Across an open field or over the side of a ridge etc....I think you can let it fly.

I think in situations where deer are looking for others they are deadly...A few years ago Hunting with Paul/NH I jumped about 5 deer...they scattered in two directions, three one way, two in the other. I immediately found a quick place to sit right between them, waited 5 min or so and gave a grunt... the two that split off came back seaching for the other 3 and I think the grunt was exactly the right choice. I missed that day but the grunt absolutely worked.

I think deer know 90% of the time when there's other deer in their vacinity....or should I say when other deer are not in their vacinity.....in this case, you blow a call and they screw.

I think timing, and there mood are everything...By timing I mean this...you don't know what has happened to that deer in the past few hours? he may have been spooked by a hunter...jumped by a coyote or predator, anything that takes his mind off the call..the easiest deer to call in is a fawn IMO...especially if you just killed the doe...you start in doe bleating and you'll have 2 dead deer in short order..
    Fresh horses and beer for all my friends...FOR TONITE WE RIDE!!!!