Terms and Conditions - Spam Guidelines - HC Window Decals

Thread: Wolves in NH?

Default Wolves in NH?

With the state doing a study to find if there are wolves in NH, I thought I would bring this topic up. Do you believe we have wolves in our state? Have you ever seen a track and said, "Nah...cant be!" Personally, I havent, but I have heard stories. Most of them start like, Iknow a guy whos 2nd cousin said his brother inlaw saw one while hunting. BUT I did hear 1st hand stories from a person that I trust with my kids life. They claimed to have seen one up in the Stark area, even brought a game warden to show the tracks. Game Warden had no comment.

I posted back before the fall about a Black phase coyote and I said it was huge. 10 years ago or so,in Maine a hunter shot a wolf and it got national attention and they did a DNA test on it. It turned out to be a wolf and the guy got fined like $10k I think. Well, I never really believed that what I saw cross the road 20ft in front of the truck about 7yrs ago. My buddy and I first thought it was a siberian husky, but it was longer and taller. I thought it was a wolf deep down, but figured it must have been a huge coyote from a dog/yote mix. I mean how often will anyone see a black phase yote?? I've been to Wolf Hollow in Mass and seen those wolves inches away, obviously this one wasn't fed quite as good but definetly the same size, same narrow gait, and big feet. The tail stayed straight down like'em too. I've said for years it was a coyote I saw cuz I didn't want people to think i'm nutz or something, but something that big, that color and all the characteristics of a wolf, must have been a wolf. Someone this fall on the board said they saw big tracks like a wolf up in Errol. I wonder when we'll hear some howling!!

Forgot to add...We were up between the 2nd and 3rd Connecticut Lake on RT 3 in Pittsburg NH.
    Erik
    "Nothing sweeter than the sound of Beagle Music!" :)

Default lokewolf i remeber that

I remember that like it was yesterday that was the biigest coyote(wolf)i ever saw One of my hunten buddies saw a mounten lion in stodderd NH and i believe him so there here.
    HUNT HARD, KILL SWIFTLY, WASTE NOTHING

Default Re: lokewolf i remeber that

Originally posted by hunterbeatle
    I remember that like it was yesterday that was the biigest coyote(wolf)i ever saw One of my hunten buddies saw a mounten lion in stodderd NH and i believe him so there here.
    I lived in Stoddard before moving to Belmont. I agree with this 100%!!! My best hunting buddy (and uncle) saw a wolf with another guy in Stoddard a few years ago. He also saw a mountain lion in that area as well. So, yes, in my book they are here. He wouldn't lie to me. Although I've never seen a mountain lion, but I believe that THEY are here as well. We know they're in Canada and the last time I checked NH borders that country. There are also no fences to stop them from coming down.

For what it's worth and with the risk of being flamed, I don't talk much about any of this any more than anyone else due to sounding like a complete idiot, but I have seen wolf too down that way. Actually, I've seen it twice. These dogs do not set like a coyote. They are simply WAY too big. Some of them are as tall as deer and unless you've seen it you'd never understand. I'm guessing between 80-100lb canines.

These are big dogs and they are wild. Fish and Game will have you believe that it's all a big myth and that unless it's proven, it's all false. The problem with this belief is that in order to "prove" it, you have to disobey the law and shoot one unless you can come with a picture or a print of track. Therefore, there is no such thing since most hunters don't have the time to take a picture while they're out hunting.

You believe what you want to believe, I say they're here.

I had a 80+ pound canine run in front of my truck in Pelham about 6 years ago. There is no way that was a coyote. It was about 4ft at the shoulder, and had some serious girth. It was a gorgeous animal.. I've taken enough coyotes to know the difference. The trails behind my house led to Hollis, about 35+ miles.

I had a thought after reading some of these posts. I know that Stoddard is in the southern part of the state and some distance from Canada. We all know that there are wolves in Canada and have crossed into the US but to the best of my knowledge not in great numbers.

I was thinking. Could someone have actually "stocked" a feew wolves? I would not put it past some of these fruitcakes to somehow get a wolf or two and let it loose in the Granite State to mess things up. Maybe I am wrong, but that may explain things.

I was thinking. Could someone have actually "stocked" a feew wolves? I would not put it past some of these fruitcakes to somehow get a wolf or two and let it loose in the Granite State to mess things up.

WOW, that's a scary thought. All this wolf talk reminded me of the time my dad and I were headed to one of my favorite trout ponds one summer and the biggest "coyote" either of us had ever seen ran across the road in front of us. We'd both seen our share of coyotes while hunting in the Northeast Kingdom and we were both struck by how much bigger this one was. "Wolf", was the first thing we thought of too.

Anyway, I wouldn't put it past the "whackos" to sneak a few into the food chain. My whole take on the wolf thing is that it's sad that we erradicated them in the first place. But since they were exterminated, nature has found a way. Another predator - the coyote - has moved in to take the wolf's place in the food chain. And it's not our place to re-introduce the wolf at this point. If they come in on their own I guess we can't stop them but these people who dream of a day when "packs of wolves fill the woods with their beautiful music" don't really know what their in for. They think it will be a beautiful thing, I say it'll be a whole new, scary world if wolves and cougars ever take hold again. Goodbye to deer hunting as we know it, goodbye to leaving your kids and pets unattended in rural areas, etc.