PDA

View Full Version : Rage Expandable Broadheads ??

D Letho
09-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Has anyone used these BH's ? I am not a fan of Expandable Broadheads but , these have me thinking a little different . I like how they " OPEN " on entry .

LINK HERE (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0039545&navCount=1&parentId=cat600817&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat21424-cat600817_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat600817&rid=)

UltraTec
09-11-2006, 06:37 AM
Has anyone used these BH's ? I am not a fan of Expandable Broadheads but , these have me thinking a little different . I like how they " OPEN " on entry .

LINK HERE (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0039545&navCount=1&parentId=cat600817&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat21424-cat600817_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat600817&rid=)[/b]

Hey DLetho,
We were stocking the Rage broadheads but just recently sent all of them back due to some problems customers were having with them. Basically the blades were hanging up on them and not opening as designed. To say this is disappointing is an understatement as we actually spent 2 or 3 hours last January with the makers of these heads helping with some design ideas.

waldo007782
09-11-2006, 08:37 AM
[size=4]
don't know that brand , but i'm a huge fan of expandables no more broadhead tuning they hit just like the field points i practice with. i use gametrackers but i'm sure other brand work well too. do not worry about the kill they are just as deadly as fixed broadheads on deer size game
great hunting to ya

UltraTec
09-11-2006, 10:50 AM
It's really not the broadheads that have to be tuned ....it's your BOW.

I'm not a big fan of mechanicals at all. All broadhead tuning takes is some bow, rest and nock-height tuning knowledge. Shooting mechanicals to get good broadhead flight, to my mind anyway, is throwing a band-aid on a broken arm.

Go to your pro shop or learn to tune your own bow for proper broadhead flight.
Hitting left or right? It probably has something to do with your centershot or vane clearance.
Up or down? nock or rest height. I would much rather learn to tune my bow properly than to cover up a problem by shooting an inferior broadhead.

And yes, they are inferior. If you have nothing but perfect broadside or slightly quartering away shots, your mechanicals will absolutely do the job. But show me what happens to those blades and ferrule when you hit some bone or you have a sharply quartering shot where shear forces prevent your blades from opening.

If anyone needs help with broadhead tuning PLEASE ask me. I'll be glad to help you and can send you a PDF manual on broadhead tuning written by Mark Spear, NFAA Level IV Coach.

waldo007782
09-11-2006, 11:26 AM
well it worked for me. I've not had any problems with my mechanical broadheads. good clean kill every time never had one run over 75yds. I do however only take shots that i'm sure of. i don't have anything against fixed blade they work fine. ive killed one doe with them. even after a visit to the pro shop i just wasn't as good as i wanted switched to a mechanical and i got the accuracy i wanted . i agree fixed blades are stroger. anything bigger than a deer that's what i would use. for deer mechanical work great. practice do wat ever it takes to acheve accuracy. shot placement is the key. you make a good shat and the deer goes down no matter which broadheads you use. as always your local pro shop is the place to start
great hunting to all even those who disagree

12 ring
09-11-2006, 05:29 PM
I have used the NAP Spitfirers with huge success. I love that they don't use rubber bands and I am shooting 70 lbs and carbon arrows with the NAP Spitfires and penitration has never been a problem for me.

arlow
09-11-2006, 06:13 PM
I love my Spitfires too. I am shooting 80 pounds with aluminums. I do believe you need to be shooting a lot of Kinetic to have them be most reliant however. People not shooting heavier or very efficient bows should stick to fixed blades.