PDA

View Full Version : Where do all of you stand when the word crossbow comes up fo

Terry
04-09-2006, 07:27 AM
Where do all of you stand when the word crossbow comes up for hunting?

I was a traditionalist before I got forced to go to a crossbow so I would be able to hunt the archery season. I believed the compound was a mechanical making it much easier to shoot, requiring less practice time, and far easier to draw with the let off. I didn't want to see a compound used in the archery season. Now I get the other side of the picture. I shattered my left elbow and ever drawing an vertical bow was forever out of the question; therefore, no archery for 20 years until Massachusetts redid their crossbow law and I purchased a Barnett Quad 300. Yep, it's a compound. Yep, it handles sort of like a rifle and fires a bolt like a bow. Is it fast, yes. Does it require as much practice as my long bow did, Yes. Yes it does to stay very proficient with it. Can you miss with a crossbow? He'll yes you can if you do not pay attention to where the linbs are all the time. [Been there done that] It's basically a horizontal bow on a rifle stock and offhand shooting requires practice to be proficient. You thing a rifle moves around in the of hand position, hold a crossbow. The crossbow is just another piece of archery equipment that's been around since early Roman times, and I'm very happy it is.

UltraTec
04-09-2006, 05:18 PM
I have no problem with anyone using a crossbow.My mom uses one as she cannot pull back a compound with enough poundage to hunt with.

I do have to disagree with you Terry, they are a bit easier to shoot than a regular bow, for a couple reasons. You don't need to draw it and risk movement in front of a game animal and you don't have to hold any poundage back at full draw. Also, equipped with a riflescope they are MUCH easier to gain consistent accuracy than with a pin on a compound. Those are just simple inarguable facts.

That being said, a crossbow has a speed of around 300fps, just like a compound and has an effective range that is comparable as well. They are not long range "sniper bows." I know a lot of people have a problem with them being used in the regular archery season, but I don't.

I prefer the challenge of a compound and would probably never shoot a crossbow unless I had a disability. I'm glad they changed the law and support it fully!

nbbucks
04-10-2006, 04:41 AM
It wouldn't matter to me if someone wanted to shoot a crossbow. As Ultra said the speed and the distance is comparable. Anyone with enough practice with a compound can shoot just as good as a crossbow shooter, IMO.

Truth
04-10-2006, 07:18 AM
If you pay for a license and it's been legalized to hunt with, I say go for it and have fun! I think crossbows are pretty cool to be honest with you.

janc
04-10-2006, 03:43 PM
I am absolutely for it.

arlow
04-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by janc
I am absolutely for it.

Ditto!!!! http://www.huntingchat.net/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_biggrin.gif

shawn_in_MA
04-11-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm for it for anyone who needs to use one (for whatever reason). I wouldn't care to see everyone walking around with one during archery season though.
As for a x-bow being easier to shoot...I'm not so sure of it. It is Definitely easier to get lined up on an animal w/o being spotted but if you look at some of the best x-bow shooters they are NOT as accurate as some of the best compound shooters. Hell at 50 yds I shoot much better with my hunting bow (w/ broadheads) than I do with any firearm off hand.

eddiejohn4
04-13-2006, 05:32 AM
Killing is killing,I dont care if you club them, as long as you do it fast. It always bemuses me when people judge how another takes his meat, as long as it is legal and is done ethically,one should not care.

UltraTec
04-13-2006, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by eddiejohn4
Killing is killing,I dont care if you club them, as long as you do it fast. It always bemused me when people judge how another takes his meat, as long as it is legal and is done ethically,one should not care.

I don't think I've ever heard it put better!
When you come right down to it...we are killing. We are not harvesting, culling, managing or any other politically correct terms. We are killing deer and eating them. Period.

lab44
04-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by UltraTec+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UltraTec)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-eddiejohn4
Killing is killing,I dont care if you club them, as long as you do it fast. It always bemused me when people judge how another takes his meat, as long as it is legal and is done ethically,one should not care.

I don't think I've ever heard it put better!
When you come right down to it...we are killing. We are not harvesting, culling, managing or any other politically correct terms. We are killing deer and eating them. Period.[/b]

AMEN, I'll agree to that.

Joe VTANG
04-13-2006, 07:30 AM
If it allows someone the pleasure of being in the woods on a fall day I can't understand being against it.

Terry
04-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks All! It's great to know there are more of us who are for building the sport then dividing it.

4x4
04-15-2006, 10:47 AM
I did not vote only because I have mixed emotions about this subject . I do however feel that as long as you can shoot a conventional bow then you do have a distinct advantage over those with a crossbow. If I was unable for one reason or another to use a conventional type Bow then yes I would use a crossbow. I do however express concern when people that have done nothing but gun hunt decide to buy a crossbow and "ASSUME" that it is just like shooting a gun. As Bow Hunters we understand that there is alot more to consider when it comes to shot placement along with ethical shots. NOW HOLD ON I am in no way saying that Bow Hunters are more Ethical than Gun Hunters. All I am saying is that there has to be a greater understanding of your weapon along with the anatomy of the animal you hunt thats all http://www.huntingchat.net/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_wink.gif

Bill/NH
04-15-2006, 11:07 AM
What ej4 and UltraTec said, therefore I support you Terry and crossbows!!!! Bill

Terry
04-15-2006, 12:02 PM
If I'd had my way before I got the no choice situation and had to use a crossbow, compounds bows would never have been allowed in the archery season with traditionalist. It took the loss of ever being able to draw a bow for 22 years, to change my mind. Then, with a change in the law, my first choice in a crossbow would be a compound. True it was what I could best afford but it was a compound and aganist my traditionalist beliefs. This change required a great deal of soul searching on my part with the decision making process. I missed the archery season and the closeness I had with game. I wanted my second season back and really had only one way to get it - a crossbow. Fortuniately, here in Massachusetts, I can hunt all three seasons, archery, shotgun, and muzzle loader, with my crossbow. Just like any other peice of hunting equipment, I still have to practice with it to be as proficent as I am with my rifle. Without practice, my crossbow and I do not feel as one unit. I think my only real advantage is that I can maintain my crossbow in the full drawn position for four hours without a rest break for 15 minutes. it allows me to enjoy the sport of hunting more then without it and to me that's the very important thing of all.

eddiejohn4
04-15-2006, 09:21 PM
4X4 You hit it on the head,know your weapon and be proficent. There is no greater sin then a hunter who has not the respect for his prey, to assure it of a humane kill. There is always a chance that things can go awry. Thats why we have to be at our very best to reduce the odds that an animal will suffer needlessly.

Terry
04-17-2006, 11:58 AM
4x4,,,,, I'd love to go back to a long bow but if I did, it would lead me to a left elbow fusion. It was fun, enjoyable and challanging and definitely required practice to be proficient. Still, I know attitudes can change as mine had to or it was no archery season ever.

I have found that I have to practice as much to maintain proficiency and to always know where my crossbow is. the weight is allot more with the crossbow.

The one kill I've made with it was quick and clean; therefore, has potential to very good in the hands of a person who is willing to do the work to be skilled and proficient with it.

UltraTec
04-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Terry,
If mass weight is an issue you may want to try a Ten Point "SteadyEddy" system. Which is basically a monopod system that attaches to the crossbow and you hold it against your hip to provide you with rock solid support. We've had many archers use them and it increased accuracy and their ability to hold steady immensely.

Terry
04-17-2006, 03:39 PM
UltraTec,,,,, I've seen the piece of equipment you're talking about and it's not that. I use all the same techniques I use with my rifle. It's knowing the equipment and becoming one with it for hunting. All of my stands have rest and I'm a firm believer in using a support which helps make for a better shot and quicker, cleaner kill.