PDA

View Full Version : Early Season Calling

RG
09-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Well this being my first season with a bow, i think im about ready as i can be. Hunting state land http://www.huntingchat.net/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_sad.gif ive found a place loaded with deer tracks along the edge of a swamp. They seem to be following the edge to get to a corn field and theres one corner on thier trail that they all have to pass.
Ive got a tree all picked out for my stand, cut away any brush/limbs that might be in the way. The only thing im not sure about is calling. Does it do any good this early? Also, what about mock scrapes, when is a good time to make them and where? Good luck everyone, hope to see some pictures in the next few days!!!!!

Split-Hoof
09-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Since it sounds like you are set up on an excellent funnel, I'd hold off on the calling at first. If the deer are likely going to be walking by anyway, calling would just make them aware of your presence. I have had good luck using calls, but in the situation you described I would try it without calling first. If I didn't see any action after my first sit or two, then I'd give the spot a rest for a while, then try calling when I decided to give it another go.

I've never used mock scrapes, so I have no advice for you there. Good Luck!

shawn_in_MA
09-14-2005, 07:49 AM
I agree with Split 100%. Now once late Oct. rolls around I would call a little more.