PDA

View Full Version : Little dilemma

badfisherman
08-22-2008, 07:39 PM
So, I started this bear thing with me son. I really dont care if I get one or not. If I do get one I want more than that little cub in the pics. I talked with my son about it tonight and asked him if he would be okay if we just watched the little guy. He said yes. When I asked him WHAT IF HE IS THE ONLY BEAR WE SEE? He wants to shoot it. I really dont want to shoot a small bear(to me), just like I dont shoot small bucks. Do I teach him my ways and let hime make his decisions when he gets legal to hunt? Or do I make this the most enjoyable hunt for him despite my beliefs?

mainejohn
08-22-2008, 07:46 PM
how old is he? if he is under 16 i would say let him shoot what ever he wants. i know when i was little i wanted kill something. he would probally proud of it no matter the size. it seems like its a 3 or so old bear. let him make his own choice.

badfisherman
08-22-2008, 07:55 PM
He's six. He's not shooting.

DLuke
08-22-2008, 07:59 PM
I'd ignore his request and go with YOUR gut instinct. He's the child and you are the quasi-adult. Let him walk....

Steve/NH
08-22-2008, 08:02 PM
You need to do what you feel comfortable with....which sounds like pass on it. Tell him why and when he's old enough to hunt, he can make that call.

arlow
08-22-2008, 08:06 PM
That bear is just a cub. If it was me and my son I would use it as an opportunity to teach him that hunting is about far more than just shooting.

janc
08-23-2008, 06:03 AM
i would shoot the bear....
give him a memory that he will never forget. who knows if another opportunity to hunt together will happen.....i wouldn't want to miss out on the chance to make his eyes pop wide open, create the biggest smile ever.......etc.

Wells Bowhunter67
08-23-2008, 06:10 AM
BAd I had the sme thing go on last year with 2 Skippers with Chase in a Treestand...Let the little guy walk and teach your Boy a Lesson...

I mean the 2 Deer were like 70lbders.....That day has stuck with Chase....He still says but Daddy we dont shoot the small ones

badfisherman
08-23-2008, 06:37 AM
Thanks guys, thats what I was thinking. Just didnt want to short change the boys experience.

BB from PA
08-23-2008, 06:44 AM
I would not shoot the bear cub. An example can be set at an early age that it is not about just shooting something for the sake of shooting. A very impressionable age is six years old. If he knows you do not want to shoot it and you don't it will speak loudly but if you do shoot it the opposite message will be sent.

willy13
08-23-2008, 07:00 PM
I think age 6 is very impressionable...Thats why I'd shoot the bear..See if you can't really get his blood pumping and hopefully give him more desire to hunt. Age 6 his attention span may not be real great after a few hours..you take him out 2-3 times for 3 hour sits you going to be doing very well..If my boy asked me to shoot the bear...it would be game over and we'd be teaching the young lad something else about the hunt...from dragging , gutting, tagging, skinning..processing..and consuming the meat..Thats a lot of learning for a young lad..After you get his attention and he's hooked on hunting make him be a bit more selective..I never started out hunting being selective..of course we didn't have fake hunting shows to influence back in that day..If I was you brian i wouldn't shoot either, especially if heart isn't into it, you'd probably wound the yearling bear..by the way that is not a cub..I've spent hundreds of hours in a stand and I know enuff to know it is not a cub. That bear is the same age as that doe you killed last year..Bear don't grow like deer do..deer die off usually 6-7 years old, some make it a little longer, bear live to be older than 30 years old..a 200lb bear is most like 8-15 years old. good luck and have fun..:D

badfisherman
08-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Gary, those are the things that are going through my head. I dont want to short change his experience, but want the experience to be a lessonm as well. I made the choice few years ago to pass on small bucks because, I dont need the meat and you cant shoot a big deer if you shoot the 1st spike that walks by. Doe's in the expanded archery are different. They need to be thinned and thats why we get multiple tags. I think I would rather he walk away from the experience excited about SEEING the bear in its element than shooting it just because it was there. Who knows? Maybe when it comes in things will be different.

gregwaa
08-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Bad I"m sick of typing and deleteing...this is a tough call...Most of the important things your boy will ever know are what you teach him.You already know the answer to the quiestion..go sit in that tree and have fun!!whatever you decide!!No regrets!!

woodsman
08-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Bad I"m sick of typing and deleteing...this is a tough call...Most of the important things your boy will ever know are what you teach him.You already know the answer to the quiestion..go sit in that tree and have fun!!whatever you decide!!No regrets!!

Go with your gut feelings ,whatever you decide to do your son will still have a great time ,you still have years of hunting memory's to make.

luckybuck
08-24-2008, 12:22 PM
IF the the bear is a CUB i would let it walk and give your son that experience and lesson.If it is a yearling i would shoot it if that is the memory you wish to have with your son.At age 6 it wont matter if it is 85lbs or 585lbs.If you really want your son to experience a hunt from A-Z i wouldnt hesitate at all if it is a yearling.But letting a cub walk will be a huge lesson in itself.

lab44
08-25-2008, 08:54 AM
First off, that 75-90 lb bear isn't a cub, it's at least a yearling. A cub right now is probably 30-40 lbs at most. Second of all, I'd be willing to be there are several bear visiting that site and when a bear comes in, you're going to be hard pressed to tell whether it weighs 100 lbs or 300 lbs.

Brian, I wouldn't go into that stand with any predetermined conclusions. Go sit with Storm and let the situation play out. After you've sat there for 3 hours in that stand you may change your mind. Either way, be happy about your decision.

He's got a whole life ahead of him to learn lessons. IMO, right now you should be trying to keep his interest until you can teach him those lessons. Otherwise, he'll be home playing nintendo while your sitting in your stand and you'll be wondering how to get him back interested in hunting again. I've been through it with several kids. If they're not successful (at least seeing animals) then they lose interest. Hell, if I sit in a stand 4 hours a day for a week I tend to lose interest.

Basically, do whatever you feel is right at that moment and to hell with everyone else.

lab44
08-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Here is whats going to happen. Bear comes in, Dad and Boy get so excited becuase they have never seen a 700lb bear before!! They shoot and are proud of their 100lber anyways:D

;) Been there, done that!!!!:)

badfisherman
08-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Here is whats going to happen. Bear comes in, Dad and Boy get so excited becuase they have never seen a 700lb bear before!! They shoot and are proud of their 100lber anyways:D